Tuesday, April 15, 2008

On My Own

I love living by myself. No really, I love it. This is the first time in my life that I have ever lived in anywhere by myself and it is wonderful. Sometime I wonder if this glorious feeling I have every time I realize I'm on my own isn't due the fact that the pain is over. Like when you have a really bad toothache and finally it is fixed, the feeling of no pain is one of the most remarkable feelings ever to be felt. I don't want to be mean to anyone, but I've had roommates like that toothache. Now that the pain is healed, well, gone at least, it just feels marvelous.

To celebrate, I've compiled a list of things that make me happy. Just me. Things that make me happy when I am all alone.

1. Reading. I love reading. I love becoming a part of another story and I love reading out loud and sharing the stories I love with others. I love all kinds of books. And I love libraries and bookstores.

2. Music. I love learning about new artists and I love music with beautiful lyrics or unique sounds. I just started a notebook of lyrics that I find particularly nice. I love going to concerts and hearing live the songs that I love. I think one of the greatest experiences of my life was the Loreena McKennitt Concert. I never wanted it to end. I guess music lyrics can be listed under this category.

3. Baseball. I love watching baseball. and football actually. I like watching sports and I love watching sport teams from Ohio. Especially the Cleveland Indians. Go Tribe!

4. Traveling. I love to travel and visit new places. To see new things.

5. Art. I love going to art museums. Especially museums that are predominantly paintings. Beautiful things just fill my heart. Another favorite experience is when Alan and I went to New York and went to the MOMA. What a beautiful museum.

6. Crafts. Necklaces, origami, stamping, making cards. I love it! There is just something about being crafty.

7. Playing games (of course). But only with people who also like playing games. Since this is a list of things I like alone, I must admit I enjoy playing games alone too. Some video games, solitare, against imaginary opponents. I love it. (Though admittedly I enjoy games with people more).

8. Running and playing tennis. Although I forget this a lot. Something in me resists exercise at times, but I do love to run. I guess I can add to this list roller blading and biking. But I've never been one who likes to really pushing myself to hurt. I am more a slow and steady kind of athlete.

9. Swimming and going to the beach. I love the ocean and water. There is something wonderful about being submerged in water.

10. Hiking. Oh yes, the walker that I am, I love walking in nature.

11. Finding funny things. My most recent favorite is Kristin's Demitri Martin quotes and the PhD comics: www.phdcomics.com. I love laughing. (Again I love laughing with people more than alone, but alone is better than not laughing). The other night I was reading a few of those PhD comics and I was literally crying I was laughing so hard at some of them. I guess getting the PhD is not a complete waste if it gives me new things to laugh at.

12. Planning and making lists. I am a dork. I even like balancing my checkbook. Adding, listing, planning, I find these things strangely satisfying.

13. Cooking and Baking. I am in love with this new cookbook that Krystl told me about: Eating Well Serves Two. It has quick and simple recipes in small portions. Even without the cookbook, I get a lot of pleasure out of the time I spend in the kitchen.

That's the list for now. I am an independent woman and I love it.

No comments: